Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Do I Have a Problem With Metaphors?

I met with a psychiatrist, Sashi Putchakayala, M.D., at the McClendon Center on June 12, 2010.  Dr.  Putchakayala suggested that I might have Asperger Syndrome.  I've been doing some reading on the syndrome, and I have doubts about whether I have it.  People with Asperger's have a tendency to interpret metaphors in a literal way.  Do I have a problem interpreting metaphors?  Do I have a problem perceiving nonverbal cues--another problem associated with the disorder?  According to Akin Gump, people who read meaning into nonverbal cues are paranoid, unemployable and potentially violent.  That's a little irony (or sarcasm).  Oh, yes, people with Asperger's have a problem interpreting irony -- and sarcasm.

SOCIAL IMPACT OF ASPERGERS SYNDROME


Asperger syndrome may lead to problems in social interaction with peers. These problems can be severe or mild depending on the individual. Children with Asperger's syndrome are often the target of bullying at school due to their idiosyncratic behavior, precise language, unusual interests, and impaired ability to perceive and respond in socially expected ways to nonverbal cues, particularly in interpersonal conflict. Children with Asperger's syndrome may be overly literal, and may have difficulty interpreting and responding to sarcasm, banter, or metaphorical speech. Difficulties with social interaction may also be manifest in a lack of play with other children.

My conclusion?  I have plain, old-fashioned Schizoid disorder.  I wonder if Dr. Putchakayala is aware that psychoanalysis is useful in the treatment of Aspergers?

http://www.nycharities.org/events/eventlevels.aspx?ETID=279

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

Where do they come up with these psychiatrists?